I probably eat some form of oats everyday, whether it’s my weekday overnight oats, granola, muesli, oat crackers…I think you get my oat obsession! They are for the most part a sweet rendition of oats, with honey or maple syrup in the granola or fruit in my oatmeal. But on the weekends I want my oats and I want my french toast…so then I don’t want my sweet oats….so….say hello to savoury oats!
It takes no more than 20 minutes (Not counting if you want to make fresh pesto on the day) and my brunch guests were ecstatic at the healthy savoury brunch twist that was whipped up this past Sunday!
I made fresh pesto as I wanted it for the week – but don’t fret, you can definitely use store bought pesto (which I have often done)! Make your oats as you normally do and mix in pesto near the end! The colour may be weird to see in your oats but you’ll get use to it once you have a bite…!
And then, like with everything in life, PUT AN EGG ON IT! (a Crispy Egg that is!)
Oh and anything else you desire on top! Gotta love versatile grains 🙂 Enjoy! xx
- 1 Cup Oats
- 2 Cups Water (Or Milk)
- 1 Tbsp Pesto
- Half a pint of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- Grated Cheese
- Ham/Prosciutto/Crispy Bacon (If you want some morning meat!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make your oatmeal as you usually do! I put the water (or milk) into a small pot until boiling
- Add in oats and turn heat to medium, stirring constantly for 7-10 minutes
- Once oats are the desired porridge consistency, stir in the 1 Tbsp of Pesto (Or a little more!)
- Turn heat to low and allow oats to stay warm as you work on the rest
- Put tomatoes in a small pot with a pinch of salt and cover
- Allow tomatoes to soften and reach the level where they just begin to pop or blister
- Fry up the eggs (or poach them)
- (If you can multitask, you may do all this simultaneously!)
- Divide oatmeal into bowls, top with tomatoes, avocados, cheese, an egg and whatever else you desire (or have in your fridge!)